Sunday, January 9, 2011

Turning a Subwoofer Into a Microphone

I read somewhere that in order to increase the low end in mixes recording engineers will take subwoofers and turn them into microphones. The large Sub Mic or SubKick captures the low frequencies the same way a standard microphone does: the vibration of the diaphragm turns acoustical energy into electrical energy and is interpreted by your mixer as an electrical signal.

Being what I consider to be a very avant garde recording engineer I decided I wanted to try this. I consulted with the audio faculty and they found a three-way speaker cabinet that no one was using and they told me I could use it for fabrication. With the help of one of the instructors cut off the female end of an XLR cable and soldered the wires to the circuit board of the subwoofer. We tested the results and they were everything we hoped and I should have a sample up for listening in the next week or so.

Soldering the XLR cable to the speaker

SubKick

The XLR cable firmly attached:

subkick

The first rendition of the microphone attached to a stand:

SubKick on Stand

No comments:

Post a Comment